Bassenthwaite Lake, Cockermouth, Cumbria CA13 9SH
BY CAR (we have free & plentiful parking)
We are easy to find, being at the northwest corner of Bassenthwaite Lake just off the A66. Across the other side of this major trunk road crossing the county along the border of the North Lake District is the famous Pheasant Inn and, our side of the A66 has Bassenthwaite Sailing Club, Armathwaite Hall, Lake District Wildlife Park (aka Trotter’s World of Animals), the Castle Inn and a number of local B&Bs in the small villages of Dubwath and Embleton. The bustling heart of the North Lakes, Keswick, lies 8 miles east and the historic market town of Cockermouth, William Wordsworth‘s birthplace) lies 2 miles west.
From the East (e.g. M6 Junction 40 (Penrith), Keswick):
- Take the A66 west (A66W).
- After Keswick, you should notice Bassenthwaite Lake on your right.
- At the first turning after a windy dual carriageway through woodland (just after the end of the 50mph speed limit) take the B5291 turning for ‘Dubwath’ and ‘Castle Inn’, follow from [*]
From the West (e.g. Cockermouth, Workington):
- B5291 turning for ‘Dubwath’ and ‘Castle Inn’, follow from [*]
- Just off the A66 you should see a brown ‘Higham Hall’ sign on the left)
- After 100m follow the road left for ‘Higham Hall’.
- After 500m at the ‘Give Way’ junction, turn right.
- After 500m turn left for ‘Higham Hall’ which is 500m up the hill.
From the North/ North East (e.g. Carlisle, A69) if not using the M6 from Penrith:
- Take the A595 through Bothel.
- Turn left at A591.
- After 8km turn right at the Castle Inn onto B5291
- After 1km bear sharp right after Ouse Bridge.
- After 350m take the turning on the right for ‘Higham Hall’, which is 500m up the hill.
BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT
West Coast Main Line rail: Penrith (25 miles), Carlisle (30 miles)
First Northwestern Local rail: Workington (10 miles)
From outside stations catch bus X4/X5
X4/X5 bus (Trans-Cumbrian) between Penrith & Workington. We can meet you at ‘Embleton, Wheatsheaf’ before 5pm* Timetable X4 X5 (West Cumbria)
554 bus between Carlisle & Keswick. We can meet you at ‘Castle Inn Hotel’ before 5pm* Timetable 554 (Carlisle)
555 bus between Lancaster & Keswick Timetable 555 (Kendal) then X4/X5 or 554
Physically adventurous? Alight a couple of stops away from ‘The Wheatsheaf’ at “The Close, Embleton” and climb the 700m up the single track road!
Special (very, very good) arrangement with Brian, local private Taxi.
Brian Reay t: 01768 776083 m:07968 599241
You can arrange with Brian for a Personal Pickup from:
Penrith or Carlisle Station: £30
Keswick or Cockermouth £10
Brian is also a ‘Blue Badge Guide’ and leads some of our Local ‘Study Tours’
Other Taxi services (we have no current special arrangement with these):
- Ken Routledge Travel 01900 822 795
- Cockermouth Taxi Co 01900 826649
- Michaels Taxis 01900 821441
- G & J Taxis 01900 826307
- T Cabs 01900 821489
The following may be useful:
www.traveline.info 0871 200 2233
www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk 0844 846 2444